Thursday, January 12, 2012

ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Manager while starting ASM


I prefer to install Oracle binaries using Silent Cloning method and manually create database instances using my custom scripts. 99% percent of the time I follow this method to build production databases at my work and use 1% only in case I evaluate a new version of Oracle. I need to admit that I never managed an ASM instance really and all our RAC installations are non ASM based with Veritas SFRAC as the shared disk sub system.  Since I don’t want to be left out of this ASM band wagon, last week I started building a new ASM instance from scratch without going through Oracle Installer GUI and DBCA. Everything went smooth till I mount the ASM instance. Then I came across ORA-29701. Please note that this is a non CRS server and I don't plan to run a RAC instance here.

echo $ORACLE_SID
+ASM
$ sqlplus '/ as sysdba'

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Fri Jan 6 15:42:21 2012
Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.
Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup
ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Manager

ORA-29701. Oracle uses cssd daemon for database instances which uses ASM to communicate with ASM instance. This is needed even if you don't plan to have a RAC instance or Oracle Clusterware installed on this node. Since I did not build ASM using Oracle GUI, Oracle did not add or configure cssd daemon to the OS stack. So  I need to login as root and configure it manually as follows

# cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
# localconfig add

This step will does the task for you and you can start your ASM instance without any issues.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am sreelal from Kerala,india.
    Can you please share your e-mail id to my e-mail id sreelalkalliasseri@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete