Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chitti aa gayi (Letter Came)

Finally much awaited letter came in the mail and set rest to the rumors floating around coffee rooms and drive ways in my office. It gave me realistic picture of where I stand now and how valuable is me as an Oracle DBA for a company.

At least it is good in one aspect. My dad worked for just one employer for more than 38 years till his retirement. He was loyal to the employer and did not digest when I use to tell him that I don’t feel what I am doing now and I want to change company. Things have changed lot in last 20 years and now no one work for any employer for an average of more than 5 years. They learn new things, gain experience and move on for a better career. What I noticed is that only those people succeeds in their professional life. Others just stay in the same place for years, do same thing over and over and don’t really learn any new tools  and don’t have the mindset at least to try something new. We could argue that it is because of Inertia (remember old Newton) or H1 and Green Card dream.  What I am saying is that it is not late to learn new things and try to be at the cutting edge. Spend at least 1 hour every day on learning 11gR2 new features and we won’t regret when it is time to look for another job. No one want to hire a regular DBA who knows only basic 10g and no programming or project/people management experience.

“Uthishtatha jagratha praapyavaraan nibodhata!!” - meaning  “Arise , awake and stop not till the Goal is Reached.” - Mundakoupanishad

No comments:

Post a Comment